Friday, March 4, 2011

Well, shucks Bucs.

Yeah, both teams lost today. However, I'm not really complaining. I did accomplish one of the missions of this today, which was to say hi to my friend Liz, who conducts the Jacksonville band. The "meet" of us two was short, and I had wished for more, but I guess that's what you get.

I wasn't expecting the big hug she gave me....or the fact that her way of calling to me was "FOOCH!", which I didn't even know she knew that nickname.

(It's a popular nickname, and I....well, embrace it. Fuck the Urban dictionary meaning of that word.)

But enough of that nonsence because that'll only bring more emotional BS I really don't want to talk about on this blog. Yes, people, I do hide some personal issues on my blog because they are so personal that it takes a lot to discuss.

Getting back to the point, both teams lost with very unexpected losses and very close games. So, I'm rather happy that both teams did lose in a close game, rather than a huge upset. We shouldn't have lost those games, but sometimes you can't predict the future....though we all desire to do so.

In these past couple days, though, I did do some mechanical delusions and discussions with my mind about one thing that has also been divulging in my mind - Pep bands. We totally drive more than just "intermission pieces" because the majority of those playing are students attending that school, and have a lot of "spunk" and "pep" to them; we drive the force of the team.

Just like cheerleaders, the pep band is a vital part of the college basketball experience. We lay our hearts down for the team, and yell so loud we can almost break our vocal chords...

However, the Atlantic Sun almost seems to be lacking in that....well, let me rephrase... LACKING IN EVERYTHING.

Seriously, these pep bands are just so G rated it annoys me. I can understand not yelling a "fuck you!" to the team, but I think we lost creativity somewhere and we just mock the cheerleaders. We're the worst while the majority of the other teams do have some creativity.

And then there's Belmont. They ARE the pep band for this conference. They create innovate chants, rants, new songs, a good song book, and are very much in tune. But they do have the weakness of being complete and utter dicks, and they're so uptight that they lack the "pep" of a pep band. They can play and they can yell, but in the end, they're so tightassed it's almost funny.

ETSU does come to a close second, with a blur for everyone else and Jacksonville coming in near dead last (sorry, Liz! Still luvs your band, though!). But still, there's not creativity in every band. You're lucky if you hear one new song, and then you'll hear it over and over and over again. If you go to all the games during the conference, you can almost generate a setlist by finals, and a decent setlist for the rest of the time they are in the Atlantic Sun.

Also, why the lack of new songs? UNF did a good job of having a list of new songs, and it was nice to hear, but more teams need to do that. I'm getting tired of hearing "Louie louie" every year by ETSU...can we not come up with better songs?

But now I'm ranting because I've got alcohol in me and little food. I should really pack now....

No comments:

Post a Comment